Milkshakes, always a decadent treat, are even more so when thickened with frozen bananas and given a boost of flavor with both nuts and coconut. If you really want to gild the lily, garnish each with a shard of your favorite nut brittle. We particularly like this homemade pistachio brittle, but purchased peanut or cashew brittle is also a good choice.
- 2 bananas, peeled and frozen
- 1 pint (16 oz./500 g) vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) milk, plus more if needed
- 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) candied or toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) unsweetened coconut flakes, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) honey
- Nut brittle for garnish (optional)
Break each banana into 3 or 4 pieces. In a blender, combine the bananas, ice cream, milk, walnuts, coconut flakes and honey. Blend until smooth, adding more milk if necessary to achieve the desired thickness.
Pour the milkshakes into chilled glasses and garnish each with a sprinkling of coconut flakes and a piece of nut brittle. Serves 2 to 4.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen