Artichoke Hearts in Lemon-Parsley Sauce
- 8 small to medium artichokes, trimmed, or 15 to
20 thawed frozen artichoke hearts
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 Tbs. capers, preferably salt packed (optional)
- 4 to 5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock or
low-sodium canned broth
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A few fresh basil or mint leaves, torn
If using salt-packed capers, soak in water to cover for 5 minutes, then drain and pat dry. If using brine-packed capers, rinse under cold running water, then drain and pat dry. Set aside.
In a sauté pan or deep fry pan over medium-low heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until softened and golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic, parsley and artichokes and cook, tossing every so often and adding a little more oil if the artichokes begin to scorch, until they are fragrant and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add 2 Tbs. of the olive oil, 1 cup of the stock, the capers, lemon zest, lemon juice and basil. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until the artichokes are tender and the liquid has evaporated to a thickened and flavorful sauce, about 20 minutes. If the liquid is in danger of boiling away before the artichokes are tender, add more stock as needed. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot or at room temperature.