Global Sai Vegetable Knife
Easy, hassle-free returns online and in-store for eligible items.Learn More
Legendary industrial designer Komin Yamada brings a new age of innovation to Global cutlery with Sai—individually hand-hammered knives with one-of-a-kind character. Unifying function and design, this distinctive Japanese prep knife combines an ergonomic handle with a triple-layered steel blade whose wide shape and razor-sharp edge make it a natural for cutting fresh vegetables and herbs.
- Multipurpose knife for mincing, dicing, chopping and slicing fresh produce. Like a cleaver, the wide blade is also great for scooping prepped ingredients into your work bowl or pan.
- The first new cutlery line produced by Global in more than 30 years, Sai blends the Japanese company’s tradition of craftsmanship with modern technological advancements.
- Designer Komin Yamada pairs user-friendly organic designs with individually hand-hammered blades that make each knife unique.
- The knives combine three layers of steel: a core of patented, ultra-hard Cromova 18 Sanso stainless-steel alloy and two outer layers of more flexible 18/8 steel for added strength and resistance to rust.
- Professional-quality blades are ice-hardened and tempered to increase hardness, resist corrosion and maintain long-lasting sharpness.
- Each blade is hand-hammered to create hollow air pockets that reduce drag, allowing the blade to glide through food without sticking.
- 12.5-degree blade edge is mirror-polished by hand for exceptionally long-lasting sharpness.
- The perfectly balanced handle has an ergonomic thumb rest for a smooth, efficient cutting motion and steady, comfortable grip.
- Iconic dots on the knife's hollow handle represent seven traditional Japanese virtues from the Samurai code of honor.
- Made in Japan.
- Dimensions & More Info
- 6" Vegetable Knife: 6"-long blade; 5"-long handle; 6.25 oz.
- 7 1/2" Vegetable Knife: 7 1/2" blade; 6”-long handle; 9.75 oz.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone or frozen food, as the blade can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent. Rinse and dry immediately.
- Use the honing steel only when you feel the knife has lost some of its original sharpness, usually no sooner than six months after its first use. As you continue to use your Global knife, it will require more frequent honing. If you need to hone your knife more than once every two weeks, it is time to have it sharpened.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
UPS can deliver most in-stock items within 4-5 business days. UPS is unable to deliver to P.O. boxes.
The shipping rate varies depending on your order total and shipping destination. View Shipping Options and Charges.
Next Day Delivery
For an additional charge of $17.50 per address, we can expedite delivery to most destinations. This service is not available for some oversize items, items shipped directly from the supplier (including perishable and custom-manufactured items), out-of-stock items and items to be shipped outside the contiguous 48 states.
Orders received by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday through Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
At Williams Sonoma, we take great pride in the quality and craftsmanship of our products. Attention to design, materials, safety and construction are our priority. Upon receipt, please inspect your purchase and notify us of any damage; we will arrange for a prompt replacement.
If within 30 days, you are dissatisfied for any reason, you may return your purchase for a refund of the merchandise value. An original receipt or gift receipt is required for all returns and exchanges. Returns with a gift receipt will be refunded in the form of a Merchandise Credit for the amount indicated on the gift receipt. Returns with original receipt will be refunded in the original form of payment, cash and check refunds over $100 will be issued as a company check (may take 14 business days from time of request).
For all cutlery returns (knife sets, single knives, cutting boards, knife sharpeners, and knife storage) please contact us at 888.922.4108 to initiate the return.
We cannot accept returns on monogrammed, personalized, special-order items, custom upholstery, food, items shipped direct from the vendor, or on items damaged through normal wear and tear. Final sale items ending in .97 or .99 cannot be returned.
Made to Order and Final Sale Furniture items are non-returnable, and cannot be cancelled once the order is placed.
For returns of items purchased from your Williams Sonoma Gift Registry, we will gladly provide a refund or exchange for the merchandise within 90 days of your event or within 90 days of purchase, whichever date is later. View Full Returns Policy.
- Gift with Purchase
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Alexi from Third Global Purchase I hesitated to purchase for a moment because of the price but after using it was very happy that I did. I do a lot of chopping and slicing and it is now the first knife I reach for. I love how Global knives handle. Global knives keep their edge better than my Wustof knives. The 7 1/2" knife has significant size and makes scooping up your chopped and sliced vegetables very efficient. Super sharp. Love it and would highly recommend it.Date published: 2015-09-09Rated 5 out of 5 by RussS from Great balance and precision This is a great knife. I have given them to each of my chefs to add to their knife bag. I use this knife both personally and professionally and it performs under the best and worst conditions. Make sure you have good knife technique. They will go where you direct them.Date published: 2014-11-16Rated 5 out of 5 by zeroteque from Great for more than just veggies This nakiri (vegetable) knife is great, especially in my vegan kitchen, where for at least two meals a day I'm slicing, chopping, etc. fruits and veggies. I initially started off with the 8" gyuto (chef) knife from the SAI line and absolutely love both. I could tell from the moment I placed one in my hand that no other knife at W-S felt quite the same. They are balanced perfectly, feel great in the hand, and cut beautifully. Sure, they're expensive, but considering the knife will literally last you for the rest of your life it's not a bad investment.Date published: 2014-03-15Rated 5 out of 5 by KristiKim from Amazing knife Well worth the money. I bought the 5 1/2" version, which is actually larger than I thought. I think I would only need the 7 1/2" knife if I were cutting through large butternut squashes or pumpkins on a daily basis. I am a gourmet cook and vegan, therefore I do tons of chopping and slicing. I have a set of very nice Wusthof knives but they can't even compare with this knife. Right off I chopped up sweet potatoes and was amazed at how easily this knife glides through and the little dimples prevent the cut pieces from sticking,which sweet potatoes are very prone to do. I had cut onions, finely diced garlic, chives, carrots and celery and had not even honed the knife yet after all that it easily sliced through somewhat soft Campari tomatoes. The knife is balanced and has some weight to it, which I love. This knife lived up to the hype.Date published: 2014-02-01