Avocado, Bacon & Tomato Tartines
With its silken texture and buttery flavor, avocado makes a delicious addition to these open-faced bacon and tomato sandwiches. When selecting avocados, avoid those that feel mushy; a ripe avocado will yield to gentle pressure when squeezed.
- 4 slices coarse country bread, each 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup aioli (see related recipe at left)
- 2 tomatoes, cut into slices 1/4 inch thick
- Salt, to taste
- 8 thin bacon slices, cooked until crispy
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
Preheat a broiler.
Arrange the bread in a single layer on a baking sheet and put under the broiler until lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Spread the aioli on the bread and top with a few tomato slices, pressing the tomato into the bread. Season with salt and top the tomato with the bacon slices, then with the avocado and a light sprinkle of salt. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking from the Farmers’ Market, by Tasha DeSerio & Jodi Liano (Weldon Owen, 2010).