Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 thin slices prosciutto, about 1 oz. total
- 8 fresh basil leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
- 4 toothpicks, soaked in water for 10 minutes and drained (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
Place a prosciutto slice on each chicken breast, folded if necessary to fit, then place 2 basil leaves on each prosciutto slice. Divide the sun-dried tomato slices evenly among the breasts, placing them in a line near a long edge of each breast. Starting from the edge near the tomatoes, roll up each chicken breast jelly-roll fashion and secure with a toothpick. Season the rolls all over with salt and pepper, then brush with the olive oil.
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill. Oil the grill rack.
Grill the chicken over the hottest part of a charcoal fire, or directly over the heat elements of a gas grill, turning to grill all sides, until the chicken is firm to the touch and opaque throughout, 12 to 15 minutes.
Cut the chicken crosswise into slices and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Essentials of Grilling, by Denis Kelly, Melanie Barnard, Barbara Grunes & Michael McLaughlin (Oxmoor House, 2003).