Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pizzas
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Two 10-inch pizza dough rounds
- 2 tsp. finely minced fresh sage
- 2 tsp. finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 oz. spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for sprinkling
In a fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the 2 Tbs. oil. Add the onion, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and caramelized, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the vinegar. Transfer the onion to a plate and let cool.
Place 1 pizza dough round on a floured pizza peel. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil. Spread half of the onion on the dough. Sprinkle with half of the sage, parsley, red pepper flakes and mozzarella. Top with half of the sausage, breaking the meat into small bite-size pieces.
Transfer the pizza to the oven, tapping the peel lightly to release the pizza. Bake until the cheese has melted, the sausage is cooked through and the crust is golden, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the pizza occasionally to ensure even browning.
Transfer the pizza to a cutting board and sprinkle the pizza with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Cut into slices and serve immediately. Repeat to cook the remaining pizza. Makes two 10-inch pizzas.