Quick Tomato Sauce with Black Olives and Cream
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 sweet white onion such as Vidalia, finely diced
- 1 leek, white portion only, rinsed well and
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Tiny splash of brandy or cognac
- 1 can (35 oz.) plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Leaves from 2 or 3 large fresh thyme sprigs,
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. spaghetti or bucatini
- 1/2 cup pitted Mediterranean-style black olives,
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Leaves from 3 or 4 large fresh flat-leaf
parsley sprigs, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup grated grana padano or Parmigiano-
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Generously salt the boiling water, add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender but firm to the bite), 7 to 9 minutes.
When the pasta is almost ready, add the olives and cream to the sauce. Simmer gently over low heat for a few minutes to blend the flavors.
Drain the pasta well and add it to the sauce. Add the parsley and toss gently. Pour into a warmed large, shallow bowl and serve immediately. Pass the cheese at the table.