Grilled Chicken in a North African Marinade
- 2 Tbs. aniseed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, including tender
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. saffron threads, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil, or as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 broiler chickens, each about 2 1/2 lb., split
- Salt, to taste
Rinse the chickens and pat dry with paper towels. Place in a nonreactive container and coat evenly with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
Bring the chicken to room temperature. Oil the grill rack or grill pan. Season the chicken with salt and place, skin side up, on the grill rack or skin side down in the pan, in batches, if necessary. Grill until well browned, about 6 minutes. Turn and continue to grill until the skin is well browned and caramelized and the meat is cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes more. The juices should run clear when a leg is pierced with a skewer.
Transfer to a warmed platter or individual plates and serve immediately.