- 2 zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 fresh cremini or white button mushrooms,
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into
- Olive oil or oil spray, or an herb-flavored oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 to 6 wooden skewers, soaked for 30 minutes,
or metal skewers
Thread the zucchini onto the skewers alternating with the mushrooms, onion and bell pepper. Coat the vegetables with oil. Grill the skewers directly over high heat, turning once, until the vegetables are nicely grill-marked and tender-crisp, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Do not overcook; the vegetables should still be a little crunchy.
Transfer the skewers to a platter, sprinkle with a little more oil, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Serving Tips: These skewers are great accompaniments for grilled fish, seafood, steak or chicken (see related recipe at right). They can also serve as a vegetarian main dish, along with risotto or pasta.