Chicken Fajitas with Guacamole
For the guacamole:
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 2 Tbs. lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 to 12 corn or flour tortillas
- 2 Tbs. canola or safflower oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 jalapeño or Anaheim chili, seeded, if desired, and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs. plus 3/4 cup tomato salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
To make the guacamole, in a small bowl, mash the avocado with a fork. Add the lime juice, cilantro, green onion, serrano chili and garlic. Mix well and set aside.
Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and place in the oven to warm, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the chicken and sauté until opaque and firm, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add the onion and red and green bell peppers to the oil remaining in the pan and sauté over medium-high heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the chili, oregano, cumin and garlic and sauté until the garlic is softened, about 20 seconds. Stir in the 2 Tbs. salsa and the water and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, until the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, mix well and heat to serving temperature. Transfer to a warmed serving platter.
To serve, remove the tortillas from the oven and place the remaining 3/4 cup salsa in a small bowl. Set the chicken, tortillas, guacamole and salsa on the table and let diners assemble their own filled tortillas.