Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 5 oz. pancetta, cut into small dice
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 sprig fresh sage leaves
- 3 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar (32 oz.) butternut squash puree
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Marsala wine
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Lightly whipped cream for garnish
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
Add the onion and sugar to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender and slightly caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and sage sprig and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth and squash puree and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the sage sprig and discard. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for a few minutes to combine the flavors. Add the Marsala and season with salt and white pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat.
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth, then whisk in the cream. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Garnish with the pancetta, a dollop of whipped cream and hazelnuts. Serves 6.