Beet and Walnut Salad with Meursault Vinaigrette
- 3 beets, about 3/4 lb. total
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs. Meursault or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, lightly crushed and stuck onto the
end of a toothpick
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 heads Bibb or butter lettuce, torn into bite-
- 2 to 3 oz. Roquefort or other blue cheese,
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and add the garlic. Let stand for 30 minutes. (The dressing may be made to this point up to 12 hours in advance and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before continuing.)
Preheat an oven to 350°F. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast until lightly browned and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Remove the garlic from the dressing and discard the garlic. Pour the dressing over the beets and let stand for at least 1 hour at room temperature or for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. (If beets are refrigerated, bring to room temperature before serving.)
Just before serving, place the lettuce in a bowl. Using a slotted spoon, remove the beets from the dressing and place in another bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the lettuce and toss well to coat. Divide among individual plates. Top with the beets and garnish with the walnuts and cheese.