Baked Mushroom Polenta
Made using our mushroom gravy base, this comforting polenta is delicious served with roasted meats or poultry, or enjoy on its own as a meatless main course. If desired, add 2 cups roughly chopped Swiss chard leaves along with the grits.
- Unsalted butter for greasing
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced, or 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup coarsely ground grits or polenta
- 1 jar (12.5 oz.) mushroom gravy base
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Salt (preferably wild porcini sea salt) and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat an oven to 350°F. Generously butter the bottom and sides of a rectangular covered baking dish.
Sprinkle the shallots over the bottom of the prepared pan. Cover with the grits in an even layer.
In a bowl, stir together the mushroom gravy base and milk and pour over the grits. Cover the pan, transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Stir the grits mixture, re-cover the pan and rotate it 180 degrees. Continue baking until the mixture is creamy, about 30 minutes more.
Sprinkle the polenta with the cheese and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot. Serves 8.
Adapted from a recipe by the Williams-Sonoma Culinary Expert Team.