Williams-Sonoma Star Anise
Native to southern China and Vietnam, star anise is a seed-bearing pod from an evergreen tree related to the magnolia. Its aromatic essential oils reside in shiny black seeds inside the star-shaped pod, offering a pungent licorice flavor with sweet hints of cinnamon and clove.
- Prized for its spicy licorice flavor and aroma, star anise is used to flavor both sweet and savory dishes.
- Chinese cooks often add star anise to poultry and pork dishes, while the Vietnamese use the spice in their celebrated beef soup, pho.
- This fragrant spice is a delicious seasoning for chicken, duck, fish and scallops. It also adds warm, spicy flavor to baked goods.
- Star anise can be used whole, broken into individual points or crushed in a spice grinder.
- Hand-selected for its pleasing shape and aroma, our premium, all-natural star anise is sourced from China by a family-owned artisanal spice company in Northern California's Napa Valley.
- 0.8 oz.
- Product of China.
- Star anise.