Shun Blue Menkiri Knife
The Shun Blue Steel series was developed in partnership with award-winning chef Chris Cosentino, known for his “nose to tail” philosophy of using the whole animal. These traditional Japanese knives feature a core of blue steel – a fine-grained carbon steel favored by professional chefs for its blazing sharpness – encased between two layers of stainless steel. A smaller version of the sobakiri (soba noodle knife), the menkiri has a long, straight edge that creates stability when cutting straight down.
- Designed for cutting fresh noodles or pasta as well as for chopping, slicing or creating chiffonade of vegetables or herbs.
- Japanese san mai construction features carbon steel between two layers of stainless steel, providing the ultra-sharpness of carbon steel with the easier maintenance and added corrosion resistance of stainless steel.
- Blue steel, hardened to 61 Rockwell, is a super-hard, fine-grained carbon steel known for taking and maintaining an extremely sharp edge (“blue” refers to the paper the raw steel comes wrapped in).
- Mirror-polished blade has a bead-blasted edge where the two steels meet, showcasing the layered construction.
- Handle is made of gray PakkaWood.
- Custom traditional Japanese wooden saya, or sheath, included with the knife for safety and convenience.
- Dimensions & More Info
- 8"-long blade, 4 3/4"-long handle. 9.75 oz.
- Includes sheath.
- Knife handcrafted in Japan; sheath made in China.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus ingredients.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
- Shun Blue Steel knives will eventually develop a beautiful dark patina along the cutting edge, which helps protect the carbon-steel cutting core from rust.
Next Day Delivery
Also in this Collection
Shun Blue 3-Piece Knife Set
3-Piece Knife Set