The Perfect Hamburger
- 1 lb. ground chuck or ground lean beef
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 or 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices cheddar or Swiss cheese (optional)
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- Sliced tomato for serving
- Sliced sweet white onion, such as Maui, Vidalia
or Walla Walla, for serving
- Torn lettuce for serving
- Sliced dill pickle for serving
- Ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard or other
condiments of your choice for serving
Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
In a large bowl, mix together the beef, yellow onion, garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Form the mixture into 4 patties, each 3/4 inch thick.
Grill the hamburgers directly over medium-high heat, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Check for doneness by cutting into a hamburger near the center or testing with an instant-read thermometer. No pink should show on the inside, and the internal temperature should register at least 160°F on an instant-read thermometer. If making cheeseburgers, place a slice of cheese on top of each hamburger during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
During the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking, toast the hamburger buns, cut side down, on the grill. Serve the hamburgers on the buns with tomato, white onion, lettuce, dill pickle and condiments. Serves 4.