Kerchief Pasta with Caramelized Squash and Fresh Herbs
- 9 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 kabocha or butternut squash, 2 1/2 to 3 lb., peeled, seeded and cut into
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbs. finely diced shallots
- 1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh sage
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lb. fresh pasta sheets, cut into 2-inch squares
- 1 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
In the same pan over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 6 Tbs. butter until light brown spots appear, about 2 minutes. Add the shallots, nutmeg and sage and cook, stirring constantly, until the shallots begin to soften, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the squash.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta and the reserved cooking water to the squash mixture and toss to combine.
Transfer the pasta to a warmed large, shallow bowl and sprinkle with some of the cheese. Serve immediately and pass the remaining cheese alongside. Serves 4 to 6.