Shun Kaji Hollow-Ground Nakiri Knife
- Special Offer
- Premier Deal
Easy, hassle-free returns online and in-store for eligible items.Learn More
Earn $25 in reward dollars4 for every $500 spent on your Williams Sonoma Credit Card. Learn More
Made exclusively for us in Japan, this versatile knife by Shun performs impeccably on everything from summer tomatoes to winter squashes. Hollow-ground indentations on the blade reduce friction and minimize sticking.
- 65-layer blade features a premium SG-2 powdered steel cutting core clad in 64 layers of forged nickel/stainless steel Damascus.
- Inspired by centuries-old samurai sword–making techniques, the blade's construction creates a supersharp cutting edge.
- Japanese-style knife designed for efficiently chopping, slicing and mincing fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Long, slender blade is hollow ground with indentations that keep slices from sticking.
- Handle is made of moisture-resistant, resin-infused PakkaWood, shaped for comfort and control.
- This NSF-certified knife meets the high-level hygiene standards for professional kitchens.
- 4 1/4" knife: 4 1/4"-long blade.
- 6 1/2" knife: 6 1/2"-long blade.
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- A Williams Sonoma exclusive.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
Next Day Delivery
- Warranty Information
Learn more about Care, Sharpening, Warranty Policy and Shipping Instructions. View details
- Price Match Guarantee
Williams Sonoma Price Match Guarantee
At Williams Sonoma, we're committed to bringing you the best quality at the best prices.
If you find a lower price on any of our products, we'll match it—guaranteed. Click here for details.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Chef Matt from Perfect Veggie Knife My 4&1/4" Nakiri is perfect for cutting veggies and doing meal prep. My go to Shun Knife for anything I need to slice razor thin. Slices through squash and sweet potatoes like butter. Great handling for quick prep work. Makes super thin even slices of onion, makes thin clean slices on tomatoes, and if I'm already using it for veggies it does a great job with herbs even though I'd normally prefer a chef's knife.Date published: 2018-02-06Rated 1 out of 5 by TheLionKing from Extremely disappointed! I purchased nearly every piece of Kaji, including the carving set, overall nearly 30 pieces, 6-7 months ago. I absolutely love these knives, BUT, I have had problems with my 6 1/2" Nakiri. I care for and store all of my knives in the same manner and all of them still appear to be brand new, except for this knife. It began to pit and has many very deep black spots. It is also turning black between the layering. I filled out the warranty form and sent the knife in given the lifetime warranty. It was immediately returned to me with no notes or anything, just the knife. I had to contact the company to have them tell me that it was inspected and it is not defective. I disagreed given the circumstances...after going back and forth through email, sending pictures, and sending the knife back in a second time, it was again returned to me. So not only did I pay for this expensive & defective (in my opinion) knife, but I paid twice to ship it to the company to have them just return it to me. Given the fact that I treat all my knives exactly the same and this is the only one that is pitting (badly), I can find no other conclusion than that it is defective. The company should stand by it warranty and replace the knife! ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!! You are paying a high price for some really nice knives, but you will not have the comfort of a company that will honor their warranty if something is not right with the product. Don't expect to have your knife replaced if it is defective.Date published: 2017-06-03Rated 5 out of 5 by SpoiledCook from Excellent Knife This is by far the best knife I have ever used. I am able to slice thinner than I've ever been able to with any other knife. It comes scary sharp right from the start and I really like that I can take it back to Williams Sonoma each year for a professional sharpening. I plan on getting more and replacing my other knives. The knives are impressive in looks as well as in performance.Date published: 2015-12-28Rated 1 out of 5 by Newbir from Kaji Nikiri Knife disappoints Maybe the knife I just received has a manufacturing defect, but the blade is only sharp on one side of the edge. The left side of the blade is sharp, the right completely dull. Is this knife for spreading frosting or what? It doesn't slice through tomatoes without enough pressure to squash, and has to be sawed back and forth repeatedly to slice through a lemon. Is there some correct way to use this one sided blade? Why does everyone else say it is so sharp, slices carrots like butter? This one doesn't even slice cheese, let alone carrots.I plan to return the knife.Date published: 2015-10-27Rated 5 out of 5 by ZoeBK from Incredibly Sharp Amazing Knife Buy it your love it. I've never owned a knife this sharp I love it. Cuts through carrots like butter. And beautiful to look at. But before you buy you may want to read up on Japeanse vs German knives. Shun knives are so sharp because they are thinner. So you can not use them for up and down forceful chopping motions like you see on the cooking shows or you will damage them. But they slice so beautifully and thin I've found I can still get minced garlic, shallots and onions just had to modify my cutting style to slicing not chopping.Date published: 2015-01-06Rated 5 out of 5 by Albert3498 from Great chopping and dicing Great with chopping and dicing. This is the second nakiri knife but this knife by far the best.Date published: 2014-08-19Rated 5 out of 5 by NewShunFan from If you are reading this...you should just buy it! Phenomenal knife! Dangerously sharp. Cuts through vegetables with ease. You can get the veggies thinner than thin. Expensive but worth it!Date published: 2013-09-03Rated 5 out of 5 by TrapperJoe from Special Purpose Vegetable Knife After deciding on a new set of Shun Knives, my first special purpose purchase was the Shun Kaji Hollow-Ground 6½" Nakiri Knife. This is the first Nakiri I have owned, having always used a chef's knife for slicing, dicing and chopping vegetables. What a difference the right knife makes! I'm amazed at the ease of learning how to use this knife, and find myself buying all kinds of vegetables just to use the Nakiri.Date published: 2013-08-04