Shun Hiro Chef's Knife with Stand
- Special Offer
Easy, hassle-free returns online and in-store for eligible items.Learn More
The Shun Hiro collection features high-performance Eastern-style knives designed for speed, agility and balance as well as striking beauty. A cutting core of ultra-premium SG-2 steel gives them a super-sharp, lasting edge, while hammered blades help keep food from sticking for fast, efficient use. Handcrafted in Japan, this chef's knife comes with a wooden display stand.
- Eastern-inspired design with extremely thin, lightweight blade for fast and agile performance.
- The blade's core of SG-2 powdered steel is clad on each side with Damascus steel composed of 32 alternating layers of nickel and stainless steel, for a total of 65 layers.
- SG-2 is an extremely fine-grained, dense and hard steel, which enables it to take and hold an exquisitely fine edge with long-lasting sharpness.
- The hammered pattern (tsuchime in Japanese) helps the blade pass easily through food without sticking.
- Contoured, ambidextrous handle is designed for ultimate comfort and control.
- Handle is dark charcoal-colored PakkaWood with crimson striations and an inlaid mosaic Samurai family crest.
- Mirror-polished nickel silver bolster and end cap.
- Includes wooden stand for storage/display.
- Dimensions & More Info
- Chef's knife: 6 1/4"-long blade; 4 3/4"-long handle; 6.2 oz.
- Knife handcrafted in Japan.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
UPS can deliver most in-stock items within 4-5 business days. UPS is unable to deliver to P.O. boxes.
The shipping rate varies depending on your order total and shipping destination. View Shipping Options and Charges.
Next Day Delivery
For an additional charge of $17.50 per address, we can expedite delivery to most destinations. This service is not available for some oversize items, items shipped directly from the supplier (including perishable and custom-manufactured items), out-of-stock items and items to be shipped outside the contiguous 48 states.
Orders received by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday through Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
At Williams Sonoma, we take great pride in the quality and craftsmanship of our products. Attention to design, materials, safety and construction are our priority. Upon receipt, please inspect your purchase and notify us of any damage; we will arrange for a prompt replacement.
If within 30 days, you are dissatisfied for any reason, you may return your purchase for a refund of the merchandise value. An original receipt or gift receipt is required for all returns and exchanges. Returns with a gift receipt will be refunded in the form of a Merchandise Credit for the amount indicated on the gift receipt. Returns with original receipt will be refunded in the original form of payment, cash and check refunds over $100 will be issued as a company check (may take 14 business days from time of request).
For all cutlery returns (knife sets, single knives, cutting boards, knife sharpeners, and knife storage) please contact us at 888.922.4108 to initiate the return.
We cannot accept returns on monogrammed, personalized, special-order items, custom upholstery, food, items shipped direct from the vendor, or on items damaged through normal wear and tear. Final sale items ending in .97 or .99 cannot be returned.
Made to Order and Final Sale Furniture items are non-returnable, and cannot be cancelled once the order is placed.
For returns of items purchased from your Williams Sonoma Gift Registry, we will gladly provide a refund or exchange for the merchandise within 90 days of your event or within 90 days of purchase, whichever date is later. View Full Returns Policy.
- Gift with Purchase
- Warranty Information
Learn more about Care, Sharpening, Warranty Policy and Shipping Instructions. View details
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Coolwhip from Slices like a dream Got this knife as a present and the HIro is quickly becoming my favorite. Razor sharp blade. I will interested to see how often I need to sharpen it.Date published: 2013-04-28Rated 5 out of 5 by CookWithaK from Watch out food! I am a professional cook and was looking for a flashy yet useful knife to use at work. Well it seems i found it. The 8" Shun Hiro chefs knife works beautifully and its beautiful to look at too! It makes cutting vegetables, fruits, and proteins a breeze. The only issue i have with it is that its a bit expensive so it needs to be taken care of especially around careless co-workers. The shun logo printed on the knife also is a bummer since it wore off after a few months of use. Other than that it is a pleasure to work with such a wonderful kitchen tool. I never cook without finding myself picking up this knife.Date published: 2012-11-24Rated 5 out of 5 by MyReviewForYou from Beautiful and useful I took the WS knife technique class and fell in love with the Shun Hiro Chef knife. Not only is the knife/stand lovely to look at, it is a pleasure to use. It makes chopping/slicing a breeze. Almost fun. The knife is nicely balanced and light weight. The blade handles everything from meats, tomatoes, harder vegetables and slicing sandwiches. It is the first knife I reach for when cooking. The stand is more then just an accessory. It displays/protects and allows for easy access to the knife. I've had the knife for about 1 month, so cannot comment on the long tern durability, but so far have not had any issues. I did purchase the Shun honing steel and use that weekly.Date published: 2012-10-18Rated 4 out of 5 by KnifeEnthusiast from Beautiful to look at. Cumbersome profile. Among the powdered-steel SG-2 Shuns, this feels the lightest in my hand, and does feel perfectly balanced. The blade is quite thin for a Shun. The knife is beautiful to look at. The jigane does not appear hammered on as an integral part of the forging process, but rather 'stuck on' to the hagane. There is a definite irregular 'stuck-on' type transition between jigane and hagane as opposed to a smooth grind. It doesn't take away at all from the beauty of this knife, but the clad was not part of the blade during the entire forging. My BIGGEST COMPLAINT is with the profile of the blade. As with most Shun blades the edge near the tip curves up significantly. Any attempt at delicate tip-work requires a dramatic elevation of the arm to get access to the tip edge. If you're an amateur that leans toward rock-chopping everything, it's a good design. If your knife stills are better than amateur, you will usually not choose this profile. My Hiro was sent back.Date published: 2012-07-13