Shun Classic Chef’s Knives
- Special Offer
Easy, hassle-free returns online and in-store for eligible items.Learn More
Indispensable for everyday cutting tasks from chopping to slicing, Shun's chef's knives feature supersharp blades and comfortable handles that provide strength and control.
- VG-MAX "super steel" blade is clad on each side with 34 microthin layers of stainless steel, creating a variegated look reminiscent of a Damascus-style blade.
- Long, slightly curved blade is efficient for both slicing and chopping.
- Exceedingly sharp cutting edge is long lasting and easy to maintain.
- Durable PakkaWood handle resists moisture and has a D shape, to sit comfortably in the hand.
- This NSF-certified knife meets the high-level safety standards for professional kitchens.
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- Dimensions & More Info
- 6" chef's knife: 6"-long blade; 6"-long handle; 4.8 oz.
- 8" chef's knife: 8"-long blade; 6"-long handle; 6.6 oz.
- 10" chef's knife: 10"-long blade; 6"-long handle; 8.4 oz.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
This item is shipped from our warehouse by UPS to arrive within
3-5 business days of our receiving your order.
Next Day Delivery
Orders reciived by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday thorugh Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
- Warranty Information
Learn more about Care, Sharpening, Warranty Policy and Shipping Instructions. View details
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
Rated 4 out of 5 by Toni Marie from Gorgeous knife I ordered this knife for my boyfriend for Christmas. Due to the monogramming, it was shipped to me instead of store pickup. I ordered this on a Tuesday and received it on a Friday, which was a surprise to me on how quickly it arrived. However, I was a bit disappointed by the condition of the box the knife was packaged in, but the knife itself did not disappoint. The blade is pristine and it has a luxury appearance due to the Damascus finish. It is nimble feeling, and feels comfortable even in my left hand (he is left handed). Overall, I am pleased with my decision and I hope he loves it as much as I do!Date published: 2017-12-19Rated 5 out of 5 by JVIL from Outstanding Knives Have used a 6" and 8" Chef's for over 3 years and these are great knives. I don't use them for boning and treat it as exceptional knives (meaning they never sit in the sink, etc. after being used). These are used daily and retain the sharp blade for quite a while. Would buy them again with no reservations.Date published: 2017-12-09Rated 1 out of 5 by CaliGurl from Too delicate I've had my knives for a couple of years now and I am not at all impressed. They are way too delicate and chip ever so quickly. I put the knife in the wrong part of the block accidentally and the darn thing chipped. This has happened to more than one knife in my set. I am very careful with my knives and I am so surprised when I see a peice chip. I regret getting rid of my Wustoff knives which I had before picking these up. I wish I still had them. Despite the $1000 investment I would take my Wustoff any day! To be fair, they are wonderful and sharp, but being too cautious to the point of fear does not make them worth the investment. I don't recommend these knives.Date published: 2016-04-29Rated 1 out of 5 by Boonie from Incredibly unimpressed I received this knife as a Christmas gift. It is my first "nice" kitchen knife. I collect pocket knives and have quite a few so I am well versed in blade steel. I must say that this knife came very dull and has quite a few spots where the edge has been slightly folded. I am surprised no one noticed this in the store. I cannot comment on the performance of the steel and am undetermined if I will exchange it for the same or choose a different brand all together. Perhaps I have to high of standards as I do not feel the quality is there for the praise these knives seem to receive. I expected more from KAIDate published: 2015-12-26Rated 3 out of 5 by Sheb from Not good for pro cooks Had a 10" classic chefs knife for 9 years, use it professionally in busy kitchens. At first it was very sharp, but once it dulls it doesn't resharpen very well. I know how to sharpen knives, but no luck with my stones, I even took it into a sharpening biz - still wasn't sharp. I even took it into the Kershaw facility here in Portland 3 times and even they couldn't get it sharp! I'm thinking it's this VG Max steel, they make it sound good but it's not very popular. I use the knife less and less, sad to say, and pretty soon it'll be out to pasture in my home kitchen.Date published: 2014-10-12Rated 5 out of 5 by Princess57 from Best knife ever This is the best chefs knife I have ever bought. It is sharp and a great size to chop just about anything. The quality is superior. And the feel of it in my hand is excellentDate published: 2014-09-15Rated 5 out of 5 by smayo from Wonderful knife, well worth the money. I have had my Shun Classic 8" Chef's knife for a year now. I absolutely love it. I also have a Shun Classic paring knife along with a double hollow ground sumo santoku and serrated knife, which I also love. I highly recommend this knife aswell as the other Shun Classics.Date published: 2013-04-29Rated 5 out of 5 by SFChris from Awesome Knife I have one Shun Chef's knife, and it is my life goal to grow the collection to a full block. I love this knife. I take it every 6/12 months or so to a shop to have it sharpened and it's as good as new. I might stop in to one of the sharpening lessons at the local Williams-Sonoma.Date published: 2013-03-02