Shun Blue Kiritsuke Knife
- Special Offer
Easy, hassle-free returns online and in-store for eligible items.Learn More
The Shun Blue Steel series was developed in partnership with award-winning chef Chris Cosentino, known for his “nose to tail” philosophy of using the whole animal. These traditional Japanese knives feature a core of blue steel – a fine-grained carbon steel favored by professional chefs for its blazing sharpness – that is encased between two layers of stainless steel. In Japan, using a kiritsuke is a sign of a master chef. A skilled cook can do just about anything with this long-bladed knife, which functions like a chef's knife for all-purpose chopping, thin slicing and mincing.
- Japanese san mai construction features carbon steel between two layers of stainless steel, providing the ultra-sharpness of carbon steel with the easier maintenance and added corrosion resistance of stainless steel.
- Blue steel, hardened to 61 Rockwell, is a super-hard, fine-grained carbon steel known for taking and maintaining an extremely sharp edge (“blue” refers to the paper the raw steel comes wrapped in).
- Mirror-polished blade has a bead-blasted edge where the two steels meet, showcasing the layered construction.
- Traditional Japanese octagonal handle is made of gray PakkaWood.
- 8"-long blade, 4 1/2"-long handle. 0.5lbs.
- Custom traditional Japanese wooden saya, or sheath, included with the knife for safety and convenience.
- Knife handcrafted in Japan; sheath made in China.
- Dimensions & More Info
- Overall Width - Side to Side: 0.9"
- Overall Length - End to End: 12.5"
- Blade Length: 8"
- Overall Product Weight: 0.5lbs
- Includes sheath.
- Knife handcrafted in Japan; sheath made in China.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus ingredients.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
- Shun Blue Steel knives will eventually develop a beautiful dark patina along the cutting edge, which helps protect the carbon-steel cutting core from rust.
UPS can deliver most in-stock items within 3-5 business days. UPS is unable to deliver to P.O. boxes.
The shipping rate varies depending on your order total and shipping destination. View Shipping Options and Charges.
Next Day Delivery
For an additional charge of $17.50 per address, we can expedite delivery to most destinations. This service is not available for some oversize items, items shipped directly from the supplier (including perishable and custom-manufactured items), out-of-stock items and items to be shipped outside the contiguous 48 states.
Orders received by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday through Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
At Williams Sonoma, we take great pride in the quality and craftsmanship of our products. Attention to design, materials, safety and construction are our priority. Upon receipt, please inspect your purchase and notify us of any damage; we will arrange for a prompt replacement.
If within 30 days, you are dissatisfied for any reason, you may return your purchase for a refund of the merchandise value. An original receipt or gift receipt is required for all returns and exchanges. Returns with a gift receipt will be refunded in the form of a Merchandise Credit for the amount indicated on the gift receipt. Returns with original receipt will be refunded in the original form of payment, cash and check refunds over $100 will be issued as a company check (may take 14 business days from time of request).
For all cutlery returns (knife sets, single knives, cutting boards, knife sharpeners, and knife storage) please contact us at 888.922.4108 to initiate the return.
We cannot accept returns on monogrammed, personalized, special-order items, custom upholstery, food, items shipped direct from the vendor, or on items damaged through normal wear and tear. Final sale items ending in .97 or .99 cannot be returned.
Made to Order and Final Sale Furniture items are non-returnable, and cannot be cancelled once the order is placed.
For returns of items purchased from your Williams Sonoma Gift Registry, we will gladly provide a refund or exchange for the merchandise within 90 days of your event or within 90 days of purchase, whichever date is later. View Full Returns Policy.
- Warranty Information
Learn more about Care, Sharpening, Warranty Policy and Shipping Instructions. View details
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
Also in this Collection
Shun Blue 3-Piece Knife Set
Rated 5 out of 5 by Usmcwood from The best is all I can say I will keep this short and simple. The is by far the best knife I have owned. It is an all in one knife for general cooking. As long as your not trying to go through bones. I only have two bad things to say. I do know how I feel about it being blue steel it just means I have to take care of it better since I live near an ocean. Last is the case it came with sorry don't know how to spell it. Anyways the blade case is somewhat loose and I don't like how the blade has a lot of play inside of it. I just wish it was more form fitting. However this does not stop me from loving this knife. If your like me and do not see the point for a package deal of 10 plus knifes this is a great knife to do all.Date published: 2016-06-09Rated 5 out of 5 by wrobelan from Great, solid knife I received the 8 inch version of this knife as a gift about a week ago. I have very much enjoyed using the knife, and its edge retention is quite exceptional after a week of moderate use. I have not yet put a honing steel to it as I would have had to with any other Shun knife I own. The only caveats I will offer are the following: as many have noted, this knife requires added care. I have many other Shun knives (Edo, Premier, Classic, and Kaji), and this one is wiped off much more than the others. Within the first use, it developed the blue patina. This does not bother me in the least, but my dad said he would not like to have the markings on the blade so quickly. This is simply a matter of preference, and the patina is unavoidable with the Shun Blue line. Second, several people who asked to hold and use the knife found it heavy. This is not the case for me, but as three people commented on its heft to me, I figured it was worth noting.Date published: 2015-01-05