Global Sai Chef's Knife
Easy, hassle-free returns online and in-store for eligible items.Learn More
Earn $25 in reward dollars4 for every $500 spent on your Williams Sonoma Credit Card. Learn More
Legendary industrial designer Komin Yamada brings a new age of innovation to Global cutlery with Sai—individually hand-hammered knives with one-of-a-kind character. Unifying function and design, this distinctive Japanese chef's knife combines an ergonomic handle with a triple-layered steel blade whose razor-sharp edge is ideal for a wide variety of everyday kitchen tasks, including mincing, dicing, chopping and slicing.
- The first new cutlery line produced by Global in more than 30 years, Sai blends the Japanese company’s tradition of craftsmanship with modern technological advancements.
- Designer Komin Yamada pairs user-friendly organic designs with individually hand-hammered blades that make each knife unique.
- The knives combine three layers of steel: a core of patented, ultra-hard Cromova 18 Sanso stainless-steel alloy and two outer layers of more flexible 18/8 steel for added strength and resistance to rust.
- Professional-quality blades are ice-hardened and tempered to increase hardness, resist corrosion and maintain long-lasting sharpness.
- Each blade is hand-hammered to create hollow air pockets that reduce drag, allowing the blade to glide through food without sticking.
- 12.5-degree blade edge is mirror-polished by hand for exceptionally long-lasting sharpness.
- The perfectly balanced handle has an ergonomic thumb rest for a smooth, efficient cutting motion and steady, comfortable grip.
- Iconic dots on the knife's hollow handle represent seven traditional Japanese virtues from the Samurai code of honor.
- Made in Japan.
- Dimensions & More Info
- 5 1/2" Chef's Knife: 5 1/2"-long blade; 5"-long handle; 5 oz.
- 7 1/2" Chef's Knife: 7 1/2"-long blade; 6"-long handle; 8.5 oz.
- 9 3/4" Chef's Knife: 10"-long blade; 6"-long handle; 11.25 oz.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone or frozen food, as the blade can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent. Rinse and dry immediately.
- Use the honing steel only when you feel the knife has lost some of its original sharpness, usually no sooner than six months after its first use. As you continue to use your Global knife, it will require more frequent honing. If you need to hone your knife more than once every two weeks, it is time to have it sharpened.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
UPS can deliver most in-stock items within 3–5 business days. UPS is unable to deliver to P.O. boxes.
The shipping rate varies depending on your order total and shipping destination. View Shipping Options and Charges.
Next Day Delivery
For an additional charge of $26 per address, we can expedite delivery to most destinations. This service is not available for some oversize items, items shipped directly from the supplier (including perishable and custom-manufactured items), out-of-stock items and items to be shipped outside the contiguous 48 states.
Orders received by 9:00 p.m. ET Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday through Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
At Williams Sonoma, we take great pride in the quality and craftsmanship of our products. Attention to design, materials, safety and construction are our priority. Upon receipt, please inspect your purchase and notify us of any damage; we will arrange for a prompt replacement.
If within 30 days, you are dissatisfied for any reason, you may return your purchase for a refund of the merchandise value. An original receipt or gift receipt is required for all returns and exchanges. Returns with a gift receipt will be refunded in the form of a Merchandise Credit for the amount indicated on the gift receipt. Returns with original receipt will be refunded in the original form of payment, cash and check refunds over $100 will be issued as a company check (may take 14 business days from time of request).
For all cutlery returns (knife sets, single knives, cutting boards, knife sharpeners and knife storage), please contact us at 888.922.4108 to initiate the return.
We cannot accept returns on monogrammed, personalized, special-order items, custom upholstery, food, items shipped direct from the vendor or on items damaged through normal wear and tear. Final sale items ending in .97 or .99 cannot be returned.
Made to Order and Final Sale Furniture items are non-returnable and cannot be cancelled once the order is placed.
For returns of items purchased from your Williams Sonoma Gift Registry, we will gladly provide a refund or exchange for the merchandise within 90 days of your event or within 90 days of purchase, whichever date is later. View Full Returns Policy.
- Price Match Guarantee
Williams Sonoma Price Match Guarantee
At Williams Sonoma, we're committed to bringing you the best quality at the best prices.
If you find a lower price on any of our products, we'll match it—guaranteed. Click here for details.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Huntaway from well balanced I agree with the other reviewer that the knife's edge is not as sharp as the Global Classics. However, the weight and ergonomics are better for my hand. Most of my knives are made in Japan - Global, Shun classic, and MAC. I am an advanced cook and this Global Sai knife is my go to knife. I bought the 5 1/2 inch one.Date published: 2016-07-12Rated 5 out of 5 by sfdeb from Fantastic knife I wanted to replace my ancient German chef's knife and knew I would purchase another Global so I headed to the store to check out the Global Sai. I was not only impressed with the knife's balance but the handle as well. I love the classic Global handle but I think the Sai handle is superior. The blade has remained sharp and the handle is very comfortable.Date published: 2015-10-18Rated 5 out of 5 by MyNewStuff from Love this knife! This knife is outstanding! I splurged and got it for myself and am so happy I did. It fits my had so well, and cuts like a dream. its so nice to work in the kitchen with great products! The weighting of the handle is excellent, and the blade is super sharp! Cheese slices fall right off, and it goes easily thorough veggies. I'd love to get the pairing knife and the long flexible blade for cutting meat, from this set.Date published: 2015-10-07Rated 5 out of 5 by KnifeLover75 from As Sharp as You Want it It's as sharp as it can get. Over time, it will get sharper as you keep sharpening it and just breaking it in. The knife and the chef will become one. This is the best range of knives for the price range in terms of quality, usability and a life-time of cooking!Date published: 2015-01-06Rated 4 out of 5 by CB80 from Great western style chef's Recently purchased 7.5 incher along with a global classic carving knife, utility knife and a Shun classic Sumo Santoku. The ergonomics and weight of the Sai chef are phenomenal. Oddly, out of the box, the Sai was not as sharp as the global classics (and no where near the Shun) despite the more acute edge angle. A couple of hits on a ceramic steel got it scary sharp right quick tough. Haven't had the opportunity to put it through the ringer yet (onions and tomatoes only so far), but the knife feels bomb proof and guiding a fine cut is a breeze. Plus, it's darn good lookingDate published: 2014-04-24