Wild Blueberry-Peach Pies
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. plus 1 Tbs. sugar, plus more for dusting
- 3 Tbs. chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch
- 2 Tbs. chilled vegetable shortening
- 1 to 2 Tbs. ice water
- 1 jar (13.5 oz.) wild Canadian blueberries
- 1 small peach, peeled, pitted and cut into
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbs. heavy cream
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for serving
Preheat an oven to 400°F.
In a small bowl, combine the blueberries, peach, cinnamon and the 1 Tbs. sugar and toss gently to mix. Divide the filling among two 5 1/2-inch individual pie dishes.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough half, flouring as needed, to about 1/8-inch thickness. Place a rolled-out piece of dough over each of the filled pie dishes and trim the edges, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Fold under the excess dough and, using your thumb, decoratively flute the edges. Brush the tops lightly with the cream and sprinkle with a little sugar. Make 2 or 3 slits in the top of each pie. Place on a baking sheet and bake until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes.
Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the pies cool to room temperature. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream alongside.