White Pizza with Clams & Pancetta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. semolina flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 batch thin-crust pizza dough (see related
recipe at right)
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 oz. pancetta, cooked and broken into pieces
- 2 to 2 1/2 lb. littleneck or steamer clams,
shucked, drained and roughly chopped
In a small fry pan over medium-low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until it just begins to sizzle, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the garlic oil to a bowl.
In a small bowl, combine the semolina flour, salt and pepper. Dust a pizza peel with 1 to 2 Tbs. of the semolina mixture. Using your hands, stretch out half of the pizza dough into a 10- to 12-inch round and lay the dough on the peel. Spread 1 to 2 Tbs. of the garlic oil over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with half of the rosemary, parsley, cheese, pancetta and clams.
Carefully slide the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone, cover the grill and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover the grill and turn the pizza 180 degrees. Cover the grill and continue cooking until the crust is golden, 5 to 7 minutes more. Using the pizza peel, transfer the pizza to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil. Repeat to make the second pizza. Cut the pizzas into slices and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.