Warm Beer and Cheddar Dip
Made with beer and lots of cheddar cheese, this warm, hearty dip is just the thing for game days. Be sure to add the cheese slowly, allowing each batch to melt before adding more, to ensure smooth results.
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup ale or darker beer
- 1 tsp. dry mustard, such as Colman’s
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 12 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Toast points, crostini and crudités for serving
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and beer, increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the mustard, Worcestershire and hot sauce and cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 5 minutes.
Working in batches, add the cheese in large handfuls, whisking until each batch has completely melted before adding more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with toast points, crostini and crudités for dipping. Makes about 2 cups.