Veal Scallopini with Mushrooms and Peppers (Scaloppine di Vitello con Funghi e Peperoni)
- 8 veal scallops, almost 1 lb. total and
1/3 to 1/2 inch thick
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. white button mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into narrow
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a large fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the veal and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes total. Transfer the veal to a plate.
Add the bell pepper and mushrooms to the fry pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bell pepper is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Stir in the prosciutto and season with salt and pepper. Return the veal to the pan, spooning the vegetables and prosciutto over it, and cook for about 1 minute more.
Transfer to a warmed platter or individual plates and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.