Tomatoes Stuffed with Green Rice
- 1/2 cup medium-grain white rice such as arborio
- Salt, to taste
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat an oven to 350°F. Oil a baking dish just large enough to hold the tomatoes snugly.
Cut off a slice 1/2 inch thick from the top of each tomato and reserve. Using a small spoon, scoop out the tomato seeds and juice and place in a sieve set over a bowl. Arrange the tomatoes in the prepared baking dish.
Add to the rice the strained tomato juice, the olive oil, chopped basil, parsley, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper and mix well. Spoon the rice mixture into the hollowed-out tomatoes, dividing evenly. Cover each tomato with its top.
Bake until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve hot or at room temperature, garnished with the whole basil leaves.