Swordfish, Sicilian Style
- Olive oil for coating
- 4 swordfish steaks, each about 1/2 lb.
For the spice rub:
- 1 Tbs. garlic powder
- 1 Tbs. dried basil
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds, ground in a mortar or spice
- 1⁄4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper or freshly ground black pepper
For the salsa:
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pitted Sicilian or other cured
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- Salt, to taste
To make the spice rub, in a small bowl, mix together the garlic powder, basil, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, salt and lemon pepper. Sprinkle both sides of each swordfish steak generously with the spice rub.
To make the salsa, in a bowl, mix together the olives, tomatoes, basil, garlic, cayenne, oil and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt. Set aside.
Grill the swordfish directly over high heat, turning once, until grill-marked, firm to the touch and opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Arrange the fish steaks on individual plates and top with the salsa or serve it alongside. Serves 4.
Variation Tip: Serve with the salsa tossed with your favorite pasta.