Summer Berry Gratin
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. kirsch, framboise or crème de cassis
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 4 cups mixed berries such as blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and boysenberries, in any combination
- 1 Tbs. confectioners’ sugar
Pour the milk into a saucepan over medium heat and heat until small bubbles appear along the edges of the pan. Gradually add the milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens and bubbles appear around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, liqueur and butter. Fold in the mascarpone.
Preheat a broiler. Divide the custard mixture evenly among 6 flameproof 4-inch gratin or tartlet dishes. Gently press the berries into the custard mixture, dividing them evenly. Sprinkle the tops evenly with the confectioners' sugar. Slip under the broiler about 4 inches from the heat source and broil until the tops are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.