Stuffed Clams (Vongole Ripiene)
- 36 hard-shell clams, well scrubbed
- 1/3 cup fine dried bread crumbs, preferably
homemade from coarse country bread
- 3 Tbs. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or pecorino
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 Tbs. olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges for serving
Preheat a broiler.
In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic, 3 Tbs. of the olive oil, salt and pepper. Spoon the crumb mixture onto the clams. Do not pack the crumbs down or they will become soggy. Drizzle evenly with the remaining 3 Tbs. oil.
Broil until the crumbs are lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from the broiler and immediately arrange on a platter or warmed individual plates. Serve with the lemon wedges.