- 3 oz. dried bean thread or rice stick noodles
- 1/2 lb. ground chicken
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1 bunch green onions, white and light
green portions, chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced napa or savoy cabbage
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. ground unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 package (about 20 sheets) rice paper spring
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Canola oil for deep-frying
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook the chicken and pork, stirring frequently, until browned and broken into smaller pieces, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the carrots, all but 1 Tbs. of the green onions, the cabbage, ginger, garlic, peanuts, the 1/2 tsp. salt and the soy sauce. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Spread the mixture out onto a baking sheet and cool for 10 minutes.
In a bowl, combine the meat mixture with the bean thread noodles and toss to mix well. Season with salt and cayenne. Fill the spring roll wrappers with the meat-noodle mixture according to the package instructions.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, honey, red pepper flakes and the remaining 1 Tbs. green onions. Set the sauce aside.
In a heavy deep-fry pan, pour in the oil and heat to 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Fry the spring rolls, a few at a time, until brown and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve the sauce alongside.