Spring Chicken Fricassee with Herbed Mashed Potatoes
The light, lemony flavors in our braising base complement chicken and fresh garden vegetables, making this a perfect dish for spring. Serve with herbed mashed potatoes to soak up the delicious sauce.
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup shelled fava beans
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed, spears cut on the bias into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 lb., cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 jar chicken fricassee braising base
For the herbed mashed potatoes:
- 3 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 5 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup half-and-half, warmed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green portions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Pour the water into a Cuisinart multicooker and set the steaming rack in place. Put the fava beans in the rack, cover and steam until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cool water. Pinch each fava bean to remove the tough outer skin. Put the beans in a large bowl. Return the steaming rack to the multicooker and add the asparagus, mushrooms and peas. Cover and steam until the asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the beans.
Remove the steaming rack and drain and dry the multicooker insert. Preheat the multicooker on the brown-sauté setting to 400°F. Warm the oil in the multicooker until shimmering. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the multicooker and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Add the braising base. Set the multicooker on the slow cook-high setting, cover and cook until the chicken is fork-tender, about 2 hours.
When the chicken has 30 minutes left to cook, prepare the mashed potatoes: Put the potatoes in a large pot and add water to cover the potatoes by 3 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium and cook the potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
Return the potatoes to the pot. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until almost smooth. Add the salt, butter, half-and-half and pepper, stirring with a rubber spatula until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Stir in the green onions and parsley until incorporated.
When the chicken is done, skim the fat off the sauce. Stir the steamed vegetables into the chicken mixture. Transfer to a large serving bowl and serve immediately with the herbed mashed potatoes. Serves 4 to 6.