Savory Waffles with Poached Eggs & Bacon
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 Tbs. minced fresh chives
- 1/2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- Poached eggs and bacon for serving
In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, butter, cheese, parsley, chives and rosemary. Over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture and whisk until smooth.
In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold one-third of the whites into the batter, then carefully fold in the remaining whites.
Pour 1/2 cup of the batter into each well of the waffle maker. Close the lid and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions until the waffles are golden brown and crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer the waffles to a wire rack set on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining waffles.
Serve the waffles warm with poached eggs and bacon. Serves 4 to 6.