Salmon Burgers with Vegetable Slaw
For the vegetable slaw:
- 6 cups finely shredded mixed green and
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 green onions, both white and tender
green portions, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. whole-grain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/2 to 2 lb. salmon fillet, ground
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 large shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 onion rolls, split
In a bowl, combine the salmon, bread crumbs, cucumber, shallots and parsley and mix lightly but thoroughly. Divide into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into a patty 3 inches in diameter and 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Place on a plate, cover and refrigerate until ready to grill.
Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Oil the grill rack or a flexible grill basket.
Arrange the salmon patties on the rack or in the basket over the hottest part of a charcoal fire or directly over the heat elements of a gas grill. Grill the patties, turning once, until cooked through when tested with a knife, 5 to 6 minutes per side. About 1 minute before the burgers are ready, place the onion roll halves, cut sides down, on an area of the grill with lower heat and toast lightly.
Place the bottoms of the onion rolls on individual plates. Top with the burgers and the tops of the rolls. Spoon the slaw on the side. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Essentials of Grilling, by Denis Kelly, Melanie Barnard, Barbara Grunes & Michael McLaughlin (Oxmoor House, 2003).