Roasted Tomatoes and Halloumi Cheese
Originating in Cyprus, halloumi cheese holds its shape well during cooking, making it the perfect choice for roasting alongside vine-ripened tomatoes. Serve this warm appetizer at the height of summer with crusty bread for sopping up the delicious juices, or serve as a side with grilled or roasted meats.
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into slices 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick
- 5 to 6 small tomatoes on the vine
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) halloumi cheese, cut into slices 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano, plus 3 oregano sprigs
Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C).
Arrange all the tomatoes, the shallot and cheese in a 9-by-13-inch (23-by-33-cm) baking pan. Drizzle the olive oil over the top and season generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the chopped oregano.
Bake until the cheese is golden brown and the tomatoes are bursting, 25 to 35 minutes. Garnish with the oregano sprigs and serve warm. Serves 4 to 6.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen