Roast Chicken & Bread Salad
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 or 5 thick slices day-old French or Italian bread, crusts removed, bread
cut into cubes (about 4 cups)
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 rotisserie chicken, about 3 lb., cut into 8 serving pieces
In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic, vinegar, mustard, the 1/2 tsp. salt and a pinch of pepper. Gradually whisk in the 1/3 cup olive oil until smooth.
Make the croutons
In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the 1/4 cup olive oil. Add the bread cubes, toss to coat evenly and cook, turning with tongs, until golden on all sides, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and immediately transfer to the bowl with the vinaigrette.
Assemble the salad
Working quickly, add the spinach, pine nuts and currants to the croutons and toss to coat evenly. Arrange on plates. Top each salad with 2 pieces of chicken and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Salad, by Brigit L. Binns (Oxmoor House, 2007).