Potato Omelette (Tortilla Española)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 to 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 lb. baking potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- 2 to 4 oz. serrano ham, diced (optional)
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled,
seeded and cut into strips (optional) (see
related tip at left)
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
In another fry pan over medium heat, warm the 2 to 3 Tbs. olive oil. Add the onions and fry until soft and golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool a bit.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until blended. Mix in the onions, ham and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in the potatoes.
Heat the oil remaining in the large pan over low heat and pour in the egg mixture. Cook until the bottom is set and golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Invert a plate on top of the pan, invert the pan and plate together, and lift off the pan. Slide the omelette back into the pan and return to low heat. Cook until the other side is set, about 4 minutes. Slide the omelette onto a plate, garnish with parsley and cut into wedges.