Basil pesto is made and sold in a larger quantity than is needed for this lasagna. To store pesto, spoon it into an ice cube tray and freeze for later use.
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbs. pesto
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 18 oz. precooked polenta, cut into 16 slices
- 2 cups spicy tomato sauce, homemade (see related recipe at left) or purchased
- 6 oz. mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
Assemble the lasagna
Preheat an oven to 375°F. Oil a 9-inch square baking dish.
In a small bowl, stir together the ricotta and pesto. Season with salt and pepper. Layer the polenta slices and ricotta mixture in the baking dish. Top with the tomato sauce and then with the mozzarella slices.
Bake the lasagna
Bake until the cheese is melted and the lasagna is heated through, about 20 minutes. Serve hot, directly from the baking dish. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Vegetarian, by Dana Jacobi (Oxmoor House, 2007).