Pear and Brie Croque-Monsieur
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter, plus 1 Tbs. softened
- 1 Bosc or Anjou pear, cored, peeled and cut
into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices country-style white sandwich bread
- 2 oz. Brie cheese, cut into thin slices or
Preheat an electric croque-monsieur maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Lightly butter one side of each bread slice with the 1 Tbs. softened butter. Lay 2 bread slices, buttered side down, on the preheated croque-monsieur maker. Spoon equal amounts of pear over the slices in an even layer. Arrange equal amounts of cheese over each, season with pepper, then top each with one of the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
Close the lid and cook the sandwiches according to the manufacturer's instructions until they are golden and crisp and the cheese is melted. Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half. Serve immediately.