- 13 oz. pizza dough, purchased or homemade
(see related recipe at right)
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. large yellow onions, thinly sliced and
cut into slivers
- 12 plump black olives, pitted and slivered
- 12 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained and
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pizza dough to 3/8 inch thickness. With a round pastry cutter 1 1/2 inches in diameter, cut out 24 rounds. Roll these rounds out again until they are 3/16 inch thick. Lay the rounds on a nonstick baking sheet.
In a nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, combine the oil and water. Add the sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and add the onions. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring from time to time, until the onions are golden and the water evaporates, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the olives, anchovies and pine nuts and mix well.
Divide the filling evenly among the dough rounds. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the filling and the edges of the pastry are golden, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.