Lemon-Garlic Herbed Chicken
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. finely chopped lemon zest
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus sprigs
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 chicken, about 3 1⁄2 lb., quartered
- 1 cup water
Add the chicken and turn to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
Preheat an oven to 425°F.
Remove the chicken from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Place the chicken on a rack in a large roasting pan. Pour the water into the pan. Roast, basting occasionally with the reserved marinade up until the last 10 minutes of cooking, until the chicken is golden brown and the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced, 45 to 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh, away from the bone, should register 170°F.
Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and garnish with the rosemary and thyme sprigs. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.