Grilled Peppery Rib-Eye Steaks with Roquefort Butter
For the Roquefort butter:
- 2 oz. Roquefort, Gorgonzola or other
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room
- 1/2 Tbs. cognac (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
For the steaks:
- 2 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 well-marbled rib-eye, porterhouse or New York
strip steaks, each 8 to 10 oz. and 1 inch thick
To cook the steaks, in a small bowl, stir together the garlic, coarsely ground pepper and enough olive oil to form a thick paste. Place the steaks in a nonreactive container and rub the paste evenly into both sides of the steaks. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 6 hours. If refrigerated, bring steaks to room temperature before grilling.
Prepare a fire in a grill or preheat an indoor electric grill according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Place the steaks on the grill and cook, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until done to your liking. If cooking the steaks on an indoor electric grill, follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Transfer the steaks to warmed individual plates. Cut the Roquefort butter into 4 equal pieces and place a piece on each steak. Serve immediately.