Green Papaya Salad
Serve this refreshing salad alongside our Lemongrass Shrimp Skewers (see related recipe at right).
- 1 1⁄2 lb. green papayas or unripe mangoes
- 1 carrot
- 1⁄2 fresh jalepeño, seeded and minced
For the dressing:
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbs. minced shallot
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 Tbs. fish sauce
- 2 1⁄2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. Sriracha chili sauce
- 3 Tbs. canola or peanut oil
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
To make the dressing, in a mini food processor, combine the garlic, shallot, sugar and salt and pulse until a fine paste forms. Add 1 Tbs. water to facilitate grinding if necessary. Transfer the paste to a small bowl and whisk in the vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice and chili sauce. Gradually drizzle in the oil while continuing to whisk.
Pour the dressing over the papaya mixture, add the cilantro and toss well. Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.