A beloved appetizer in France’s Burgundy region, the airy golden cheese puffs known as gougères are the perfect prelude to your holiday feast, as they are light in texture yet full of flavor. Authentic gougères are easy to make with our premium mix, used here to create classic Gruyère puffs.
- 1 canister (8 oz.) gougère mix
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 4 oz. Gruyère cheese, grated
Position 1 rack in the lower third of an oven and another rack in the upper third. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
Put the gougère mix in a large bowl and stir in the water until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the cheese until well blended. Let the batter rest for 2 minutes.
Drop the batter by the tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the gougères about 1 inch apart. Bake until the gougers are golden brown and crisp when tapped, 32 to 36 minutes, switching the baking sheets between the oven racks and rotating them 180 degrees halfway through baking. To test for doneness, crack open a gougère; the inside should be airy and slightly moist but not wet.
Let the gougères cool on the baking sheets for 5 to 10 minutes, then serve warm. Or let them cool completely and serve at room temperature. Makes about 35 gougères.
- Cheddar Gougères: Omit the Gruyère and substitute 4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated.
- Bacon Gougères: Omit the Gruyère and substitute 8 oz. diced bacon, cooked until crisp and drained.
- Thyme Gougères: Add 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme along with the cheese.