Golden Beets with Smoked Trout and Dill
- 12 small golden beets, each 1 1/2 to 2 inches in
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature, or
- 1 smoked trout fillet, about 5 oz., broken into
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
- 2 packages water crackers for serving (optional)
Put the beets in a shallow baking dish, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt. Turn to coat well. Roast until the beets are easily pierced with the tines of a fork, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let cool.
Slip off the skins and slice the beets into rounds 1/4 inch thick. Top each slice with about 1/2 tsp. cream cheese, a piece of trout and a sprinkle of dill. Put each assembled round atop a cracker. Arrange on a platter and serve. Serves 14 to 16.