Gazpacho Cream Dip (Salmorejo Cordobés)
- 1/2 lb. day-old coarse country bread, crusts
removed and bread sliced
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 raw eggs
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red or white wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 lb. serrano ham, chopped (optional)
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
Squeeze the bread dry and place it in a food processor or blender along with the tomatoes, bell pepper and garlic. Process until smooth. Add the raw eggs and the 1 tsp. salt and process to blend. Then, with the motor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil, processing until it is incorporated and the mixture is emulsified. Mix in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the puree into a shallow bowl. Garnish with the chopped ham and hard-cooked eggs. Serve with a selection of raw and blanched vegetables for dipping.