Fresh Tomato Tart with Roquefort
For the pastry:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch
- 3 Tbs. ice water
For the filling:
- 6 oz. Roquefort cheese, at room temperature
- 2 Tbs. half-and-half or milk
- 2 tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat an oven to 400°F.
On a floured work surface, roll out the dough into a round about 10 1/2 inches in diameter and about 1/4 inch thick. Carefully transfer to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom and 1/2-inch sides. Pat the dough onto the bottom and sides of the pan and trim the edge even with the rim.
In a small bowl, using a fork, mash the cheese together with the half-and-half. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pastry. Cover with the tomato slices in a tightly packed single layer. Sprinkle with the pepper, thyme and olive oil.
Bake until the crust is lightly golden and the tomatoes have collapsed, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let stand for 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.