Fish Tacos with Broccoli Slaw and Lime Cream Sauce
In this quick and healthy gluten-free recipe, spice-coated tuna is sautéed until it is crisp on the outside but still slightly pink inside. Topped with a slaw made from shredded broccoli, the tacos get extra zip from a creamy sauce spiked with fresh lime juice.
- 4 cups (8 oz./250 g) prepared broccoli coleslaw
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) minced red onion
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) minced fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 1/2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 Tbs. (3 fl. oz./90 ml) gluten-free mayonnaise
- 6 Tbs. (3 oz./90 g) plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated lime zest
- 1 lb. (500 g) albacore tuna, cut into 3/4-inch (2-cm) cubes
- 3/4 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- 8 to 10 gluten-free corn tortillas, heated
In a large bowl, combine the broccoli slaw, onion, cilantro, 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. of the lime juice and the chile. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Let the slaw stand while preparing the sauce and fish.
In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, yogurt, lime zest and the remaining 1 1/2 tsp. lime juice. Stir in a pinch of salt.
In a medium bowl, toss the tuna cubes with the chile powder, cumin and coriander. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the fish and sauté until brown on the outside but still pink inside, about 2 minutes. Transfer the fish to a warmed bowl.
Set out on the table the fish, slaw, sauce, avocado and tortillas and allow diners to assemble their own tacos. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Weeknight Gluten Free, by Kristine Kidd (Weldon Owen, 2013)