Curried Soba and Cucumber Relish
For the cucumber relish:
- 2 cucumbers, peeled
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tsp. curry powder (see related recipe
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbs. sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz. dried soba noodles
Put the curry powder in a small, heavy fry pan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 1 minute. Immediately pour the powder into a large bowl. Stir in the yogurt, cilantro, sesame seeds and pepper.
Bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Add the soba noodles and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes, or according to the package instructions. Remove 1/3 cup of the cooking water, then drain the noodles thoroughly.
Add the noodles and reserved cooking water to the curry sauce. Toss to combine and coat the noodles evenly with the sauce.
To serve, divide the noodles among individual plates. Top each with an equal amount of the chilled cucumber relish. Serve warm or cold.