Popular in India, a raita is a salad made with yogurt and chopped vegetables, such as the cucumber used here. It provides a wonderfully cooling contrast to spicy food. Try it with our Tamarind Curry Chicken with Vegetables (see related recipe at left).
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and grated
- 2 cups plain yogurt, store-bought or homemade
(see related recipe at right)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. lightly toasted cumin seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Place the grated cucumber between several layers of paper towels and press gently to absorb excess moisture. Transfer the cucumber to a bowl. Add the yogurt, cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and stir until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 3 cups.